Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thumbelina stops to smell the flowers

This is the second portrait done for the same family as Alice in Wonderland. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do, but when I was sketching out a few ideas it occurred to me how often we have to work hard to enjoy things that should be everyday pleasures. In order to stop and "smell the flowers" Thumbelina has to take the time to stack objects bigger then herself to reach the one she really wants! I suppose that somtimes simple things are not as simple as they should be, but they prove to be worth the effort in the long run. By the way, the flower she is smelling happens to be a magnolia. I guess that in reality she would have needed to stack more then a book, a matchbox and a mug to reach it. Somtimes I find that even when I feel as if things in life are to hard thier's someone in the background who is quietly making things easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment